Livestock–cattle, poultry, goats, sheep–totaling 15 billion worldwide now outnumber people three to one. Livestock graze on half of the world’s land mass. The explosion of livestock populations has resulted in a parallel explosion of animal wastes that pollute surface and ground water. U.S. livestock produce 230,000 pounds of excrement per second. The amount of waste created by a 10,000-head feed lot is equal to the waste of a city of 110,000 people.
Steak seasoning is obviously used on steak, but there are plenty of vegetarian friendly recipes that steak seasoning complements. My favorite is with tomatoes, mozzarella, and balsamic vinegar. The best part of combining the mozzarella with the tomatoes is that the fat in the cheese helps your body absorb more of the disease-fighting lycopene from the tomatoes.
- Slice a tomato or two and top with slices of wet mozzarella.
- Add a small amount of diced onions, sprinkle with steak seasoning, and drizzle balsamic vinegar.
- Let stand for 5 minutes so that the flavors can blend.
Another variation of the above recipe is on garlic toast.
- Cook garlic toast for 1/2 of the suggested time.
- Flip the garlic toast over and top with tomato slices, steak seasoning, mozzarella (slices or shredded)
- cook the remaining amount of time
Kale Chips with Steak Seasoning
- Preheat oven to 325F
- Pick the leaves off of the stems, rinse, and dry–wet leaves will burn in the oven
- Drizzle olive oil across a cookie sheet
- spread rinsed and dried pieces of kale across the cookie sheet,
- sprinkle steak seasoning and oregano or steak seasoning and dill on the kale
- bake for about 20 minutes
Another suggestion is to season french fries or baked potatoes with steak seasoning. I hope that you enjoy these recipes these are some of my favorite snacks or side dishes.