So I got this recipe from the Student’s Vegetarian Cookbook by Carole Raymond, but I did modify it slightly. It takes only about 10-15 minutes for preparation and cook time. This portion is for one serving, but you could also serve this is an appetizer by splitting this portion between two people. The recipe in the book calls for multigrain bread (2 pieces), but I did one slice of multigrain and one piece of garlic toast. Both were delicious so really do whatever you prefer. I think the garlic toast makes it more of an appetizer than a meal.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 cup grated or thinly sliced zucchini (I used 1 zucchini that created more than 1 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 2 slices of bread (garlic, whole wheat, multigrain, whatever your preference)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- To keep the bread from being soggy I cooked the garlic bread so that it almost done cooking before I started step number 2. I also recommend toasting the wheat toast while you saute the food in 2.
- Saute the onion and garlic in the oil for about 3 minutes. Add the zucchini, basil, and oregano for about 3 minutes.
- Layer the tomato slices and the zucchini on the bread and sprinkle with cheese.
- Broil until the cheese melts (1-2 minutes). Pepper to taste.